This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Time Helston

As someone who enjoys Question Time and Any Questions (the television and radio topical debate programmes), I have long thought it would be interesting to organise something similar in Helston. Covering a mix of topics from local to broader subjects, the audience would get the chance to hear the views of the panel and of course, express their own! I see the success of such an evening depending on three key ingredients:
    • The audience
    • The panel
    • The Chair

Whilst I am hopeful that the audience would be made up of local residents, I would work towards the panel consisting of a mix of people who have an interest in the town and surrounding area. Those who might consider taking the opportunity to express their views on a range of subjects could include:
    • Members of the community
    • Clergy
    • Charity and Community Group leaders
    • Educationalists
    • Police
    • Business owners
    • Journalists
    • Public Servants
    • Politicians

I am sure that you have your own ideas on who you would like to see on the panel.

Obviously the event would be nothing without an audience and as such, I am keen to understand if there is interest in the town for this. Grateful if you would use the voting buttons to indicate how often you would like to see Question Time Helston taking place.

If there is an appetite for this, I will work towards encouraging people to join a panel and plan for something in the New Year.
    I would support Question Time Helston being held quarterly
    60.00%
    I would support Question Time Helston being held 6 monthly
    30.00%
    I would support Question Time Helston being held annually
    0%
    I would not support Question Time Helston
    10.00%
    I would support Question Time Helston being held more frequently than quarterly
    0%
    Admin and Mod

I have decided to push ahead with organising an event I am calling Question Time Helston. It is planned to hold the first in late Sept/early Oct. The format will be similar to that presented by the BBC. The aim is to being together the community to discuss issues important to the residents of Helston. These can be everything from the incredibly local to broader national or international subjects. At this range, I am looking for people to get in contact who would be willing to sit on the panel (expected to be about 6 people). Anyone can put their name forward, you don't have to represent an organisation. If you are a resident of the town or have views about Helston, please let me know if you wish to be considered as a panel member. Rebecca Wills of Radio Cornwall and a resident of Helston has agreed to act as Chair.

I expect to hold 2 events before the end of the year and plans for future events will depend on how the first 2 are received. On the night the timings will be: Doors open at 7pm, Questions from 7.30 - 8.30pm with a period from 8.30 - 9pm for follow-up discussions. The event will be held in the town and the venue will shortly be confirmed. Precise details of the event will be available here and in the local paper within the next few weeks.

Should you, or someone you know be interested, please get in touch!
    Last edited by Dave Potter; 22-07-2017, 11:36 AM.
    Admin and Mod

Comment

Question Time Helston will take place the Methodist Chapel in Coinagehall Street on Wed 11 Oct 2017. Doors open at 7pm with questions from 7.30 - 8.30. There will be time afterwards for follow-up discussions and all should be complete by 9pm. If you wish to come along, visit Hellys Tea Room in Meneage Street from next Thursday to sign up and deliver a question you wish to be asked. You will also be able to bring along a question on the night. The Chair will be local businessman, Bruce Taylor. Panel members who have confirmed include Ruth McGurk (Helston and Lizard Foodbank), Chris Webb (HCC Chair of Governors), former MP Andrew George and Cornish Bard, Martine Knight. I am hopeful that someone under the age of 25 will step forward to join the panel and please pass on my details to anyone you think might like to join in. Mob 07971848442.

The event will only be as good as the people who come along and the questions asked, so please pass on the word and come along. Questions can be anything from the very local to the global or even intergalactic! The aim is to give people a voice and generate a conversation around the town.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Dave
      Admin and Mod

Comment

Thank you to everyone who supported the event last week. From my perspective, I thought it was a very successful evening and everyone I spoke with appeared to enjoy the event. Whilst there was lively, entertaining and educational discussion, everyone was respectful - thanks to everyone for their contribution. As I said on the night, the next one is planned to be in either the second or third week in January.
        Admin and Mod

Comment

Working...
        X